Thread: Cannon Ball Run Winner for sale!

Cannon Ball Run Winner for sale!

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/06/20/...ll-run-winner/

32H:51M Record Holder: Cannonball Run Winning(?) 1978 Jaguar XJS

This 1978 Jaguar XJS basketcase is claimed to be the 1979 Cannonball Run winner driven by Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough. That car set a transcontinental record that stood until 1983, and this car has brass plaques inside that the seller claims make it the actual winner. We’ve been able to find references to the result as linked below, but never a photo. Can any BaT reader find a photo that proves or disproves this seller’s claim? Find the car here on Craigslist in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania with no asking price. Special thanks to BaT reader Matt T. for this submission!

The seller claims that this is a V-12 car and the interior shot shows an automatic transmission and a Nardi wood wheel. The two plaques above are shown affixed to the glove box door. The car looks as if it has been left outside for years, and the headlights have been scavenged.

Details of the 1979 finish results can be found here on Wikipedia. Reference to the winners and the controversy around who broke what record can be found here on Jalopnik. Does anybody know if the drivers of the car are still around? Maybe they could verify it.
    Indeed, if you have read "Cannonball! World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" (ttp://www.amazon.com/Cannonball-Americas-Greatest-Outlaw-Road/dp/0760310904) and you should, Brock Yates does mention and even have a picture of Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough.

Could be legit, but I am betting this gets more play before its resolved.

why not just email Brock? I bet he is easy to reach... byates@onelapofamerica.com

meh, i thought what the hell, i emailed him.
    Last edited by TurboZ; 06-24-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    87 Nissan 300zx *under construction

03 350Z track

Nice. Brock's son weighed in on the discussion on BAT. But unfortunetely the CL ad is down.

Oneof the suggestions was buy the car, make the engine into a Top Gear-esque coffee table and then mount the glovebox on the wall in your man cave. Then part out and scrap the restof the car to pay for the purchase.

Brock Yates replied to me and said he had seen it and he too belives it is authentic. He refered me to the BaT thread, lol.
    87 Nissan 300zx *under construction

03 350Z track